Question:
Suggestions for staying awake in the afternoon?
2005-12-05 14:12:17 UTC
I get very sleepy in the afternoon, about an hour after lunch. Any suggestions for staying awake without using caffeine?
Four answers:
Nick N
2005-12-05 14:29:20 UTC
Getting up and walking around helps a lot. Drink some water. Find a diversion that can keep you engaged for a minute or so when you get sleepy. Sometimes when I get really tired in the afternoon I do math problems in my head or try to remember arcane facts about cars. Q&A is also a good way to keep your mind alert...
puttopal
2005-12-05 23:09:24 UTC
Nick makes an excellent point about drinking water. Drinking water throughout the day forces me to get up, stretch, and walk to the bathroom periodically. Which is also an excellent way to avoid RSI!

Also: try to avoid carbs at lunchtime. A heavy meal of pasta is sure to make you sleepy a couple hours later. Opt for lunches of fresh veggies and protein.

Try snacking on something nutritious like unsalted nuts in the afternoon for a boost that won't make you crash later.
kballard
2005-12-05 22:13:26 UTC
You could try exercising. Going for a good run or a workout should wake you up nicely.
SmartMonkey
2005-12-06 00:13:49 UTC
Coofffffeeeeee!